Friday, April 13, 2007
YouSendIt lets businesses, professionals and consumers move big files. If you know how to use email, you can easily use the YouSendIt service. YouSendIt currently has over 3 million registered users across 220 countries and over 13,000 paid users. More than 400 million files have been transferred using the service and YouSendIt is transferring over 1 million files with 30,000 gigabytes daily.
Monday, April 09, 2007
1-1-2 is a toll-free telephone emergency number from any telephone or any GSM cellphone. Originally this number was the single European emergency call number. In most of the GSM handsets, 112 can be called even in Key lock position. But unfortunately in India, this number can be accessed properly from very few service providers. Generally in India, the emergency numbers are not standardized. There is no single emergency call number. Most of the Indian cities use 100 for Police and 101 for ambulance. But while, a major share of people use mobile phones, why don't we turn to use 112 as single emergency number system. This talk must be discussed by agencies like TRAII and GSM service providers.
Call the 112 only in real life-threatening emergencies like:
• Serious medical problems (unconscious person, important injuries, chest pain, seizure, bleeding)
• Any type of fire (house, car, business)
• Life-threatening situations (crimes, fights, people with weapons, robbery in progress, etc)
Do not call the 112 :
• To test your mobile phone - you may block a real life-threatening emergency call
• To laugh at the operators or to just hang up - respect operators who work under stress to help save lives, do not block real emergency calls by blocking lines
• For non life-threatening emergencies or non-emergencies like property damage accidents, break-in to vehicles, theft of property, vandalism - especially when the suspect is gone - cars blocking the street. Call directly the local police.
Stay calm Stay safe - avoid having an accident yourself.
What to say ?
• Where is the assistance needed (Location)
• Your name and telephone number
• What happened (nature of the emergency) and if it is happening now
• Who needs help or is involved and how many (victims, suspects, etc.)
• Why is the emergency happening (i.e. depression) and obstacles to the arrival of emergency services
• Are weapons involved ? (knives, hand-guns, automatic weapons)
• To launch a 112 call - observe and exercise mentally
• Get training in your company or in the context of your community as a first aid helper or as a first responder - you will be able to help yourself and your neighbors
• And remember - prevention is always better and more efficient
Some useful Links:
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
I But now I got a permanent solution when I get info on Portable apps. Now I can carry my favourite computer programmes with all of my bookmarks, settings, plug-ins, anything and everything with that. All without leaving any personal data behind.
PortableApps.com provides a truly open platform that works with any hardware you like (USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, etc). It's open source built around an open format that any hardware vendor or software developer can use.
I love Portable MFf more than the real Mff. Because, it has some additional features which real MFf lacks. The auto spell checking plug-in is an amazing feature of Portable MFf. The saved bookmarks will be saved permanently. Forget restrictions of your damned System Administrators.
Browse with Portable MFf, Chat with GAIM Portable, Upload with File Zilla Portable, mail with Thunderbird Portable… Everything.
The Portable Apps Suite™ is free. It contains no spyware. There are no advertisements. It isn't a limited or trial version. There is no additional hardware or software to buy. You don't even have to give out your email address. It's 100% free to use, free to copy and free to share.
There are lots of quality Portable Apps provided by PortableApps.com. Some of them are:
• Nvu Portable & KompoZer Portable - The easy-to-use Nvu web editor
• XAMPP - Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin and more in an integrated package
• Sudoku Portable - the wildly popular and addictive puzzle game
Graphics & Pictures
• GIMP Portable - Photo and Image Editor
• FileZilla Portable - the full-featured FTP client
• FireFTP Extension (for Firefox) - a lightweight extension
• Gaim Portable - chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in an easy-to-use interface
• Miranda IM Portable - chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in a customizable interface
• Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition - the award-winning web browser that's safe and secure
• Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition - the handy email client
• Nvu Portable & KompoZer Portable - the easy-to-use webpage editor
• PuTTY Portable - lightweight telnet and SSH client
• Sage Extension (for Firefox) - A full-featured RSS extension
Music & Video
• Audacity Portable - A simple audio editor and recorder
• VLC Media Player Portable - An easy to use media player that plays most audio and video formats
• AbiWord Portable - a lightweight word processor compatible with Microsoft Word files.
• Lightning Extension (for Thunderbird) - A lightweight extension for your calendar and tasks.
• Mozilla Sunbird, Portable Edition - Calendar and task management with a familiar interface.
• Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition (Address Book) - Email client's built-in address book with import/export functions.
• OpenOffice.org Portable - word processor, spreadsheet, presentations with Microsoft compatibility.
• Sumatra PDF Portable - a lightweight PDF viewer.
• Mac-on-Stick - Run Mac OS Classic 7 portably.
• 7-Zip Portable - File archiver and compressor.
• ClamWin Portable - Antivirus on the go.
• KeePass Password Safe Portable - Secure, easy-to-use password manager.
• PortableApps.com Backup - integrated backup utility bundled with the platform.
• PortableApps.com Menu - integrated start menu bundled with the platform.
.... Amazing...? Go to the [world of portable apps]
• There is one major Mozilla product is missing in the portable world – SeaMonkey. I hope that Seamonkey will come soon in the family of portable apps